Monday, July 24, 2006

Pressing toward the goal (long post)

My devotional for today was "Leaving the Past Behind", with a reading from Philippians 3:12-21. It's not what the author intended, but this turned into another meditation on love. As I read, "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus", it seemed to me that the goal and prize was doing what the Father commands and that is to walk in love. I heard a beloved brother in Christ say that if you just studied God's love toward us, in us, and toward others every day you would not be doing yourself a disservice :-) I wholeheartedly agree! All the commandments are summed up in the one great commandment, "love one another". This is my great quest: to know His love for me, to love myself, and to love others.

Soon it will be time to begin our homeschool year. I have been re-evaluating and confirming why I choose to homeschool. Usually I just gather all my catalogs and look for things to order, but not this year. The Holy Spirit has been dealing with me AGAIN that "Wisdom is to be the principal thing in our homeschool, and that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom". When we first began to homeschool so many moons ago, we would have our Bible time together as the main focus and then would come academics. As my oldest moved into high school, with more activities and requirements I panicked and we dropped our group devotional to "get right to those academics". The children still had their own devotionals, but the main reason for homeschooling was lost for me, but not this year. I now have renewed vision! Our mission statement for our learning academy will again be Colossians 1:9 ...(that God would fill our children) with the knowledge of His will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. ...that they (my children) may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please Him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God... and
...This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. John 15:8

Which leads me right back to love...
This is why I should do this. If I don't mother my children in love, teach them in love, and to love, what's the point??!

The following variations on 1 Corinthians 13 will be posted in my home this year :-)

1 Corinthians 13 for Mothers adapted by Jim Fowler
(variations for parents, wives & husbands are here too :-)


If I live in a house of spotless beauty with everything in its place,
but have not love,
I am a housekeeper not a homemaker.
If I have time for waxing, polishing, and decorative achievements,
but have not love,
my children learn cleanliness ­ not godliness.
If I scream at my children for every infraction,
and fault them for every mess they make,
but have not love,
my children become people-pleasers ­ not obedient children.

Love leaves the dust in search of a child's laugh.
Love smiles at the tiny fingerprints on a newly cleaned window.
Love wipes away the tears before it wipes up the spilled milk.
Love picks up the child before it picks up the toys.

Love accepts the fact that I am the ever-present "mommy,"
the taxi-driver to every childhood event,
the counselor when my children fail or are hurt.

Love crawls with the baby, walks with the toddler, and runs with the child,
then stands aside to let the youth walk into adulthood.

Before I became a mother I took glory in my house of perfection.
Now I glory in God's perfection of my child.
All the projections I had for my house and my children
have faded away into insignificance,
And what remain are the memories of my kids.

Now there abides in my home scratches on most of the furniture,
dishes with missing place settings,
and bedroom walls full of stickers, posters and markings,
But the greatest of all is the Love
that permeates my relationships with my children.



1 Corinthians 13 for Home Schooling Parents (author unknown)
Though I teach with the very best skills,
But do not have love, I am just drawing attention to myself.
And if I have experience, and knowledge of all the best techniques,
and test results proving my effectiveness,
but do not have love, I am wasting my time.
And if I work hard, sacrificing all my money, my time, and my energy,
but do not have love, it adds up to nothing.

The loving teacher is patient with her children, allowing them to
learn according to their God given temperaments and developmental rates.
She is kind, treating her children respectfully.
She does not brag about her accomplishments, and
is not smug about teaching her own children.
She does not try to be like anyone else, but acts appropriately to the way
God has made her.
She is not irritable and pushy and insistent upon making
her children fit into her lesson plans.

The loving teacher is more concerned with promoting truth and
beauty than with criticizing those who don't.
She perseveres in developing her own character, believing that God's ways are best.
The loving teacher is not a quitter. Love never fails.

If there are creative ides, they will be replaced.
If there are great curricula, they will be superseded.
If there are effective techniques, they will be improved.
All that we know now is only a part.
Only later will God reveal education at its best.

When I was a child, I had unrealistic expectations.
As an adult, I know better.
Now abideth faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is LOVE.

4 comments:

momsmusings said...

I love these versions!! This year seemed to be our year, as well, to re-evaluate why we are homeschooling. It is the first time I had questioned myself on the issue. We are continuing on our homeschool journey this year and are changing it up as we go this time! A new chapter is unfolding in our lives!! Thanks for this awesome post.

Grafted Branch said...

I loved this post! I'm glad to see you posting a little more frequently because I've been so blessed by your encouragements of late.

I was especially convicted by:

"Love wipes away the tears before it wipes up the spilled milk."

I often ask God to make the Holy Spirit quicker than me -- to direct my reaction before my flesh has its way. My natural reaction would be to calmly -- maybe even sweetly -- clean up the milk while teaching (lecturing) the offender how she can avoid the same mistake next time. Ugh.

Meejee said...

Thanks for the comments ladies... Just trying to get out what the Lord is dealing with me about so I can deepen what He is saying to me. There's just something about typing/writing it out that does that for me (isn't that a homeschooling technique?) The funny thing is, the Lord gently speaks to me again by the comments of what He is doing in your lives and I am taken to another level :-)

"Picking up the child before picking up the toys" is BIG right now around here, especially with a little guy who marks his territory in literally every room of the house with his drawings, blocks etc. LOL.
I'll just have to keep sowing the do good seed with him (Galatians 6), believing that I will reap a harvest of a little guy that will put his toys away before going on to his next important project :-)

Sarah said...

I enjoyed visiting your blog and reading this post. Thanks for leaving me a comment about my prayer request for Christina. Now that I know you're here...I'll be back!

My daughter is still only 1 y.o., but I have already been contemplating the home/private/public school decision that we will be faced with in a few years. Your post reminds me that the knowledge of God and the Fear of the Lord are things that MUST be taught at home, if they are going to be valued by my children.